A letter to sexual assault survivors

Dear survivor,

I want to start off by telling you that you are strong. Even if you do not feel that way right now you will amaze yourself with the strength you have. Secondly, I am here for you and I understand what you are going through. I want you to never feel alone. I am giving you the biggest hug ever; I hope you can feel the warmth I am sending.  

It is hard; every day will have some kind of battle to face.

It will get better.

I promise.

You are a fighter.

I want you to know that it is okay to fall throughout the healing process. You will fall. This process is a forever process; each day more and more light will shine your way. Be patient, this healing will not come easy it will be slow paced. Let it be slow do not rush it, allow yourself to feel every emotion it will help your heart.

Some days you will find yourself crying in the shower asking “why me”. Go ahead I encourage you to cry in the shower the warmth of the water will calm you. The crying is good for you. I am wondering the same thing “why us”. We both did not deserve this; no one deserves this. Don’t let the “whys” make you feel small. Some days you will feel on top of the world like it never happened. Be aware that the memories can, and will come back to haunt you at any moment. You will learn to be strong as the memories flood back into your mind when this happens to take in a deep breath and know you’re safe now.

You will learn that not everyone in your life will understand, but they will do their best to understand.

I know what you are thinking. You think you can’t do this. That the monster has taken every ounce of life out of you and you will never be the same again. Honestly, you will be different. The change that will happen is good. You are becoming stronger every day, turning into your own hero.

It’s so unfair what happened. This is something I wish no one ever had to go through. Although I do not have the answer to why it happened. I do believe that life doesn’t give you things that you can’t handle. I’m sure that not everyone who reads this has spoken about the events that have happened. Some people never will tell another soul because it is too hard to form the words. I don’t want you to be ashamed of that. I want you to know that it is okay if you are not ready to talk. I will be with you through every step of the way. When you are ready don’t be afraid to let your voice be heard, we will be listening. We may not know each other personally but I will send you my love to keep moving in life. You must believe in yourself. You are beautiful, strong, smart and loved. Don’t allow that monster to hurt you more than it already has. It is time to now turn a negative situation into a positive one. What you choose to do now is your decision, but know that there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

With all of my love,

M

Comments

Popular Posts